preservation and revitalization
of ancestral Mesoamerican foodways.
We aim to achieve this by:
1) Offering nutrient-dense food products, made from the highest-quality sustainable ingredients in compostable packaging.
2) Whenever possible, featuring precolonial ingredients and heirloom/landrace varieties.
3) Supporting those who want to bring ancestral foods into their modern lifestyle by providing resources, education, and recipes.
Honoring the Seeds of Culture
We believe in honoring the seeds of culture, which means respecting and preserving ancestral wisdom. Ancestral wisdom comes in many forms. To name just a few that are important to us:
- Traditional methods of food preparation which increase nutritional value and flavor (for example, nixtamalization).
- Ancestral diets and foodways, which have helped many people reclaim their health.
- Ancient heirloom and landrace varieties which are uniquely adapted to certain environments and are more nutrient-dense than modern varieties. They are becoming increasingly important in our climate-unstable world.
Honesty & Integrity
- Never compromising the quality of our products.
- Cultivating mutually beneficial relationships with our partners.
- Paying a living wage, offering stable employment in our local community. We value operating as a team, recognizing that we all deserve equal respect and consideration.
We believe in creating systems that are regenerative & nourishing to people and the planet, rather than extractive and depleting. For us, that means:
- Using compostable packaging and labels.
- Sourcing ingredients that are either:
- 1) certified organic
- 2) grown by small farmers using organic practices, who due to their size are unable to obtain certification at this time.
- Offering products that are nutrient-dense. We use only:
- whole grains
- unrefined sweeteners
- never any artificial additives, gums, or fillers
An integral part of creating a better food system and world is prioritizing social justice. We are dedicated to creating a workplace that's diverse and safe for all. We also donate a portion of our sales to organizations that work for food justice, social justice, and indigenous sovereignty.
We are proud members of the Good Food Guild. The Guild fosters, distinguishes and unites tasty, authentic and responsible food crafters, offering concrete support for their businesses and amplifying the impact of their individual choices to do what’s right rather than what’s easy.
Who We Are
Sheera Duerigen and Joaquín Estrada created Alma Semillera (originally named Tortillas de la Tierra) in 2013.
Joaquín is originally from Guatemala. He grew heirloom corn and worked on his family ranch growing up. He believes one of the greatest pleasures in life is eating a fantastic meal, and a meal for him isn't complete without fresh tortillas.
Sheera is first-generation and multiracial. Her mother is from Hong Kong and her father is from Germany. She was inspired by Joaquín to learn about Mesoamerican cuisine and its long, rich history. She's passionate about cultural revitalization and preservation, social justice, ecological agriculture, and making the world a better place.